We get questions. We give answers. Or, we try. We might chuckle a little. Forgive us. Pilot life has its own ups and downs and yes, its own funny bone.
Answers to Questions Pilot Wives Get Asked
1. Do you own your own jet? No. It’s a different class of people who own jets. (Hint: we’re lower).
2. Does the company loan the jet/plane for personal use? No. That’s just for politicians.
3. Aren’t you afraid your husband will crash on the job? Hadn’t thought about that until you asked.
Not for nothing: statistically speaking, pilots are more likely to have an accident on the way to work. Just like you.
4. Don’t you worry about him cheating/being around all those beautiful flight attendants? That’s not at all an awkward question. But pilot wives are intelligent, savvy, and drop-dead gorgeous to boot. So, we’re not worried.
5. Where is he traveling today? We don’t know. It’s different all the time.
6. When will he be home? See #5 above.
7. Are you allowed to go with him on trips? First chance we get. Now if you’ll excuse us, we’re off to hire nannies.
8. Do you miss him when he’s gone? YES. *Sends kids to bed early, eats gargantuan bowl of popcorn by self, watches movie and holds remote*
9. Can you come to our dinner party/adult-only event next week? We don’t know. If it’s an not off day, I’ll have to check with a babysitter to see if I can keep her kind of on call until we know closer to the day about what he’s doing, and then I can give you a confirmation the night before (that’s after I’ve confirmed with the babysitter and hoping she hasn’t taken another offer to babysit). And if she’s still good, then we’ll probably be able to make it. If the Pilot ends up being on call that day or evening, we’ll either have to come a little later or drive in two cars.
Or, I can just RSVP now with regrets.