The days following a holiday become opportunities of one sort or another: an opportunity to recover, an opportunity to relax, an opportunity to spend time with family. Maybe, just perhaps…the after-holiday weekend offers an opportunity to get a wee bit done, so jumping back into Monday won’t be quite so harsh.
Maybe you’re doing Black Friday. Godspeed.
25 Things to Do With Family the Weekend After Thanksgiving
A Little Play
- Choose a board game or card game: either a favorite or one your family hasn’t played in awhile
- Go for a hike.
- Play a pick up game of basketball.
- Play a pick up game of baseball.
- Play tag.
- Just play anything outside or indoors.
- Bring out simple art supplies and let everyone make a holiday picture. Don’t forget the clay and play doh.
- Have a Lego-building contest
- Play dress-up (grown-ups, too)
- Watch Holiday/Christmas movies.
- Go see holiday lights in your area.
- Watch football. Or go binge YouTube videos while other people are watching football.
- And then, of course, a pick up game of football.
- Read books.
- Make pizza. Or pizza bread if you have leftover bread from the holiday. Pizza flavor is a great follow-up meal to a day of potatoes and turkey and stuffing. Also, here’s a breakfast pizza for next week.
A Little Work
- Write out your Christmas list.
- Have kids write out their Christmas lists.
- Send out those lists to family on email. If those are handwritten, just send a photo of the list you take from their phone.
- Demand Christmas lists from other family members.
A Little Prep
- Clean out papers from the first few months of school. (When kids aren’t around so they don’t see you throwing their life’s work in the trash).
- Make sure lunchboxes are clean (hopefully, the kids remembered to empty the food before the break)
- Put away fall decorations.
- Pack school lunches using Thanksgiving leftovers (and maybe a piece or two of Halloween candy).
- Make a list of meals you can make with other Thanksgiving leftovers. (Maybe eat some Halloween candy while you do this).
- Do some cleaning out of toys and things. Because new space is needed for gifts are coming.
What will your family do on these days?