Hi, I’m Rhonda: pilot wife, mom of boys, home operations specialist. I’m also a freelance writer, educator, former special education teacher, worker bee, and Girl Friday for The Women Bloggers.
My boys say I am a “work-all-the-day-girl.” That pretty much sums it up.
About Captain Mom®
I revel in the adventure of being a pilot wife (and occasionally long for some superpowers), but I am not a Super Mom. I do sometimes wear a cape.
I’m a city girl living in the rural woods of Arkansas with my pilot husband and our three boys. It is
funnier more fun than I could have ever imagined (also, louder). I try to keep things aboveboard and organized in a household with a frenzied & unpredictable schedule, mismatched socks, and a bunch of muddy shoes. One reason for this site is to pass along how I roll. Maybe some of it will work for you and yours.
For fun, a few bullet points:
- I get excited about lots of things. But mostly: education, writing, music, cooking, parenting, great books, good movies when accompanied by large bowls of popcorn.
- I love Jesus. Because He is so much more than a Sunday school answer..
- I manage stuff, I take care of things. If it eats, I feed it. If it’s dirty, I clean it (eventually). I schlep small humans from hither to yon and back again.
- Once upon a time, I taught other people’s children in school. Much of that experience has helped me with parenting. Much of it did not.
- I’m good at:
- finding joy in the littlest and most simple of things
- whipping up a decent dinner from scraps in the refrigerator
- I’m not so good at:
- styling my hair
- clearing up clutter
- fancy DIY projects (which I prefer to outsource)
- I enjoy:
- talking long walks
- swimming laps
- a long movie and an stovetop-popped popcorn
If this were LinkedIn…
- I work with The Women Bloggers. We’re a cool community started by The Park Wife. We work on storytelling & content, campaign management, social media, and any number of other things. Our flagship state and community are the Arkansas Women Bloggers.
- My freelance work started in 2008. I write on food and cooking for Taste Arkansas, adventures and destinations in The Natural State for OnlyinArk, and parenting tidbits for Rhea Lana. Other publications include Parenting Squad, and magazines like Peekaboo, Orlando Family, Calgary’s Child, Simply Family. I’ve also published with Arkansas Gardener magazine and Chicken Soup for the Soul.
- One time, I was on NBC TODAY Parents site with a feature about being a rural mom. Another time, I was interviewed about kids and money for Ally Bank.
- I have a B.A. in Curriculum & Instruction, an M.A. in Special Education, with a speciality in early childhood.
- I am a state-certified educator and early childhood specialist. My education experience includes teaching public school; interpreting for deaf and hard-of-hearing students; and working with infants, young children, and families doing home-based early intervention.
- I actually don’t do so well on airplanes (motion sickness).
- At one time or another, I’ve worked as a: soda jerk, nanny, lifeguard, server at a pizza restaurant, grocery store cashier and customer service representative, sign language interpreter, and teacher. I’ve cleaned bathrooms in every job I’ve ever had. Current role included.
- 14 years ago, I climbed Pike’s Peak. #fistpump
Because social media is fun:
- Connect with me on Twitter
- Fly with me as Captain Mom on Facebook
- Read stuff I post on Google Plus
- Check out my lackluster images on Pinterest